5 Pillars of Self Care, Part 1.

 



I got so much lovely feedback after talking about this subject live on the Instagram and Facebook feeds last week, it seemed natural to put it here in a blog post to keep it handy for you!

With the world in such an odd state, some people are underemployed, some unemployed, some more than employed, some people able to go back to work, life potentially returning to normal, etc., I get many people asking about anxiety and how to manage this return to the hustle and bustle pre-pandemic.

The key?

Self-Care.

Sure, I know it sounds buzzy. For many it conjures images of a bubble bath in a giant, swimmin-pool-sized bathtubs with rose petals, some model-esque woman eating chocolate cake and drinking wine while burning a million candles and listening to music (or secretly binge-watching mindless TV!).

It isn't that. Or at least, it doesn't have to be that.

Self-care is more like maintaining your wellbeing. Kind of like how you put gas in your car, check your tires and oil regularly, sometimes give it a car wash, and once in a while clean out the crumbs from the seats. It isn't always sexy, or easy, or even something you always WANT to do. But you need to, or your car won't look, smell, or run properly when you need it to.

The same is true of self care. We need to take care of ourselves so that we can also operate at our full efficiency, have the energy we used to have, be free from anxiety, have good digestion, look the way we want, and be able to BE THERE for our family, friends, and of course, our jobs.

So, with that in mind, here is the first of the 5 Pillars of Self Care to help make sure you can build your resiliency, handle stress with ease, avoid illness, have the energy you've always wanted, and generally live your best life.

Pillar 1: Nutrition

Your nutrition needs to be on point as it is the foundation for all of your body systems to have the energy and health to survive and thrive. Did you notice I didn't say diet?? Because diets imply deprivation, and those diets don't work.

However, you do need to make sure that you are eating in proper portions, and with proper nutrients. In my courses we will dive deeper in to the nitty gritty, but for now, try to follow this "rule of thumb" - literally (this is a general guide for adults, not intended to be medical advice); 

    - A palm is a single serving of protein for women, 2 palms for men. You need this 2-3 times per day, depending on your size and activity levels. Try to eat more plant-based proteins. they are filling, healthy, full of flavour, affordable, and don't cause inflammation as much as animal proteins.

    - A single cupped hand is a serving of cooked grains. At most, 2-3 of these per day, again depending on activity level, overall fitness and wellness goals,  and current muscle vs. fat mass.

    - A double cupped hand (both hands cupped as if you were scooping water) is a serving of raw veggies. A single cupped hand is a serving of cooked veggies. Aim for 6-10 servings of veggies per day, again depending on your current circumstances. Fresh is always best, but frozen is also good. Canned (without added sugar or salt) is often an affordable third choice. Organic is great when affordable and available, but let's be honest, it's not always a possibility for everyone.

    - Fats should follow the idea of the end of your index finger with solid fats, end of your baby finger for liquid fats. Peanut butter is the end of your thumb. Cheese is your last two joints on your thumb.

Generally, avoid milk products as they cause inflammation, and are not the best way to make strong bones, despite all of the advertising. Dairy, particularly cheese, is addictive (literally!), so limit it as much as possible if you can't get rid of it entirely.

Avoid sugary, processed foods. They're devoid of nutrients, can be addictive and can cause cravings. making it harder in the short and long term to stick to your healthy eating plan.

A simple way to load your plate? First, use an 8", or 20cm diameter plate. Not all plates are the same size, and a larger plate will cause overeating.1/4 protein, 1/3 (MAX) grains, the remainder of your plate should be veggies. Fruits can be no more than 1/4 of the plate, but fruits tend to have a lot of sugar and sugar causes inflammation.

Bottom line: inflammation is bad. Inflammation can cause digestive upset, bloating, and even feelings of anxiety!

And I don't know about you, but anxious is the opposite of how I want to feel when I'm trying to take care of myself!

Eat at regular intervals, making sure that you are never ravenous, but rather feeling slight hunger so that you aren't eating from boredom.

Eat a variety of foods that you enjoy, again in healthy quantities, and play with different flavours - you can add lots of different spices and herbs without adding fat or unhealthy calories!

Try a new recipe once per month to discover new cuisines, flavours, ingredients so that you are never bored.

And yes, I hear you - I know you're busy and it can feel much easier to stop in a drive through on the way home from work instead of making food at home. I personally love two (well, three, actually) strategies that I employ weekly to save time, money and stress (and dishes!): Meal Prep, Batch Cooking, and Grocery List Planning.

Meal prep. Okay, okay, i'm not talking Pinterest-worthy meal prep here. I'm talking about deciding what I want to make and how to make it. Here's what I do: I live in the country and I'm very, very busy so I only do groceries once per week. Everything has to be planned in advance because I don't want to have to repeatedly drive all the way to the grocery store (if the closest one doesn't have what I need, I may have to drive 30-60 minutes one way to the next one!). 

Breakfast: I make the same breakfasts every day for hubby and I - a protein shake that is easy to make in just a few minutes. 

Lunch: Hubby does intermittent fasting so he doesn't eat lunch, but I usually decide on one simple lunch that I will eat or the week. 

Dinner: I then decide on 3-4 dinners per week. I plan to make enough so that we have leftovers for at least 2 dinners. Even better, if I am making something like soups, chilli or lasagna, I'll even have enough for freezing, making everything that much more economical and time saving!

I'll make my grocery list for any ingredients we don't have and do my shopping - this allows me to avoid having wasted groceries (and money from spoiled, unused produce).

When I have a couple of hours, I'll make my bulk dishes (usually a Sunday afternoon) and pre-portion them, freezing anything that won't be eaten in a couple of days. Then, during the week I'll make a dinner every couple of days, using the leftovers the next night to avoid having to cook every day. If I'm feeling really energetic and ambitious, or if I know I have a killer-busy week ahead, I'll do a couple of those dishes on Sunday as well.

I'm a huge fan of Amazon (mostly because, living in the country, we don't have many other options), and I got some really great meal-prep glass containers on a blowout deal a couple of years back and I love them. The containers are oven, microwave and freezer safe so they're SUPER convenient. I used plastic for a long time but they really don't stand up to long term use. However, I know with kids glass isn't always the best choice. Amazon also has lots of reusable BPA-free plastic meal prep containers as well.

By taking care of your nutrition, and employing some of these time-saving tips, you'll be able to take care of yourself every day in small and meaningful ways. It may take time to notice a difference, but over time you will have less fatigue, less bloating, your skin will look better, you may even lose weight, and feel less anxiety!

Questions? Comments? Let me know below!

And make sure to check out the website on www.HealthGirl.ca, and our socials @HealthGirlCanada on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.

Cheers!
HealthGirl

Comments